Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Apple Brulee Topping!!

Sooooo. I posted on my favorite social networking site a picture of the two pumpkin cheesecakes I made for my book club dinner, and was almost accosted. So I decided since I don't have the bakery anymore I can share the recipe. I adapted it for me, from my favorite Vanilla Cheesecake recipe, and you may have some adapting to do yourself in regards to how spicy you like it. I would like to show the picture, but alas, I took it on my phone, and have yet to link my phone to my blog.  :0/

Crust
I like to use Townhouse butter crackers, or Ritz. Crush approx. half a box as finely as you can. Combine this with a half stick of softened butter. Line and press into a greased spring form pan. (8 or 9 inch is best)

Cheesecake
24oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
2 Cups Sugar
1 Can Pumpkin (small)
4 Whole Eggs
1/4 Cup Flour
Approx. 3 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (more for spicy)

In a mixer, cream the cream cheese. Add sugar and pumpkin, mixing together. Crack all eggs into a measuring cup, (prevents shells getting into batter) and slowly add to mixer. Add flour and spices. Pour this into prepared pan.

Bake at 350* for 15 minutes, dropping the temperature to 225*, and baking for approx. 45 more minutes.  Some ovens bake faster than others, and geesh, if you are lucky enough to have a convection oven, you better check it at 20 minutes. Your cheesecake is done when it is not shiny on the top, and has a little jiggle, but not too much jiggle. (Sorry, I'd love for it to be more exact, but I don't really follow recipes, they're more "guidelines".) A few cracks around the outside is normal, and indicates that it should be pulled. A lot of cracks especially in the center means, Whoa Nelly it's over done! When you think it's done, pull from oven to cool. If it forms cracks on the top, after being pulled, it's *slightly* overdone, but don't worry, we're going to cover that up with a yummy topping. No one will ever notice! Smooth the top back down if this happens.

Topping
8oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
Vanilla, approx 1 Tbs.

Cream all of this together, and spread over the top of cooled cheesecake. And, we still aren't done.

Apple Brulee Topping
2 Honey Crisp or Gala Apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
1 Stick of Butter
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar.
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg

Combine this in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium/high heat until boiling, turning heat down a touch, maintaining a good rolling boil.  The apples need to cook to soften, and  the sugar mixture needs to thicken.  Resist the urge to stir, and the sugar mixture needs to darken in color. This can take a while. It's ready when it sticks somewhat to the back of a spoon.

Pour this over entire Cheesecake, slightly swirling with the cream cheese topping. Refrigerate until cool. Using a sharp knife, run it along the outside of cheesecake to separate it from edge of spring form pan. Release from pan, and serve.

YUM!! And Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by The Blog Fairy. Powered by Blogger.